Wednesday 2 January 2013

Pitch Perfect

 
I have said it before and as I tend to repeat myself often I shall say it again – if a film has singing and/or dancing it is almost certain that I will love it and will thereafter try to justify and possibly apologise for doing so. 
The casting of Anna Kendrick made Pitch Perfect more intriguing than most offerings of this type.
PLOT:  Freshman Beca (Anna Kendrick) joins an a cappella group, the Barden Bellas, after her father agrees to let her drop out of college and move to Los Angeles if she joins and engages in a club for a year.   Beca locks horns with the Bellas' tradition-loving-leader Aubrey (Anna Camp) and wants to modernise the routines in order to make it to the National Finals and beat their longstanding rivals The Treblemakers.  END PLOT
Pitch Perfect follows the overly familiar coming of age/finding yourself themes.  The plot was decent although the romantic subplot with Beca and Treblemaker Jesse (Skylar Astin) didn’t flow very well and appeared to have been included just for the sake of having some romantic drama in the last 15minutes of the film.
Despite the familiarity of the plot the snappy script, which had some genuinely amusing one liners, does help to disguise the obviousness.
The soundtrack is made up of a cappella versions of chart topping numbers most of which are more tolerable in Pitch Perfect than they are on the radio.  It is one of the few times that I have enjoyed listening to Jessie J and *spit* *spit* Rhianna *spit*. 
Anna Kendrick leads the cast with ease and is also an impressive singer.  Kendrick is incredibly likeable and I would consider her in the same league as Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence in terms of actresses who are going to be major players in Hollywood in the very near future.
The supporting Bellas – Brittany Snow, Anna Camp and Rebel Wilson are all very strong in their respective, albeit clichéd, roles. 
I was expecting to like Pitch Perfect as it falls into a genre that I love but I was surprised by just how good it was.  The sharp script and the strong cast make Pitch Perfect an easy film to enjoy.  It gets an 8/10. 
The soundtrack has already been purchased.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it looked funny but I didn't expect much. I was quite surprised at the quality of the script which reminds me of a Means Girls musical mash up.

    Sidenote - I thought I was the only one who didn't like Rhianna ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it!

      I despise Rhianna's music and on a personal level. There is something about her that makes me feel like I need a good wash after looking at her *shudder*

      Delete